Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Welcome!

This blog will chronicle my progress as I work on my BTN Senior Research Project, "Exploring Typography as an Indicator of Social Climate."
My research will attempt to identify unifying features in modern typography and plans to explore the zeitgeist of the 2010s to form an answer to the following questions:
“What overarching aspect of modern type exemplifies early 21st century culture?”
“How have past design innovations and social paradigm shifts influenced modern type design?”
“How do businesses operating in the 21st century influence their identity through type?”


My internship at Edible Baja will allow me to experience an environment focused on typography; allowing opportunities in using Adobe CSS and other software for font organization and digital typesetting. In assisting the Edible offices with their font categorization I will gain a deeper understanding of the philosophy of modern type, in how we view the differences in contexts such as magazines, advertisements, and in different sizes.

3 comments:

  1. As someone who loves calligraphy and shares an interest in typography, let me just say that this is fascinating! Was this inspired by your project for french or vice versa? This comes to show just how easy it is to overlook some aspects of history. We looked at those NRA posters in APUSH, but I never really considered the origin or reasoning behind the font.

    Have you met any challenges so far in your internship?

    I'm looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! In fact, those two projects sort of stemmed off of each other as far as inspiration goes, I had an interest in typography that had been growing for quite some time and I figured I'd focus many of my projects on the idea of type; how it relates to a social environment as well.
      My internship so far has proven to be an amazing resource! My on-site advisor Steve McMackin has given excellent guidance and valuable insight into how I should go about my research.
      You should expect a couple more posts in the following week, some scheduling snags delayed my posting for a few days but I'm back on track.
      Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Oh, that's neat how you were able to tie all these projects together so you can learn from multiple perspectives, and I'm glad that you have such a great on-site advisor; they're invaluable.

    ReplyDelete